Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Me as Poet Is

I am a college professor
                                     She is alone among the icicles
I was born in the Midwest
                                        She was drawn from a corroded vein
I will travel to Madison
to watch the Super Bowl with my husband's family
                                                                                She will be found under
                                                                                a mossy rock, squirming
I go to puppy classes with my puppy Ozzy
                                            every Tuesday
                                                                 She goes down a well filled with
                                                                 lava
I make a really good chicken noodle soup
                                                                 She makes castles out of entrails and teeth
I have Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis
                                                           She has a pocket of skin rashes from touching toads
I give my nieces and nephews
books every Christmas
                                   She gives head to the God of Fire

1 comment:

  1. The above was the opening exercise for my creative writing class...namely to write sentences beginning with the preceding subject/verb combinations revealing on the one hand, the "everyday" you (acceptable to peers, commonly known) and the writer/poet you (unknown, transgressive, vulnerable...)

    ReplyDelete