Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Changeling Draft Uno

Below is a 500-word draft of a story containing the words "troll", "incandescent" and "levitate" as well as a lot of language from Puck's speech in A Midsummer Night's Dream...



The Changeling

On one wall of the ward a mermaid sings the sea to sleep, her mouth a fellatial O. They painted scales up over her breasts, or kids like me will masturbate at her. On the other, Jill watches calmly as Jack tumbles down, smiling, as if chasing his broken crown like a dream. My mind’s eye bolts his golden hair with blood. Strikes love bites of purple on his pansy-white face.

I secondly saw the ghost in the mirror, jumping over my image like a hurdle and galloping toward me with the deliberation of a race horse. Then he crept around the perimeter of my room so fast he left a girdle of flame in his wake. I woke up with the russet morning tonguing my window, hollering and thirsty but appeased, knowing he was a dream, and I am a liar.

1 comment:

  1. I truncated this, because I want to enter it in a contest based in Madison, WI so it needs to not be published. In the final draft I got rid of that great line about the mermaid, so I'm glad it's here for later!

    ReplyDelete