Sunday, April 5, 2015

The To-Do List and Other Incantations



Me and Mom, when perms were in
I have been on a real poetry stint lately. In the last two weeks I read Life in a Box is a Pretty Life by Dawn Lundy Martin, Girl King by my colleague Bri Cavallaro, and Apprenticed to Justice by UWM poet and Wisco’s new Poet Laureate, Kim Blaeser. In Apprenticed, there is a great poem titled “What They Did by Lamplight,” which is two of my favorite things, 1) a visual poem. (The lines form the shape of a lamp.) and 2) a list. It’s all verbs, because it is exactly what the title implies. I haven’t done a piece made of a list of verbs, and I think that’s because a list of what most people do now would be the worst poem ever. This is an awesome poem that works because it’s about the activities of traditional indigenous women in a new world. How lame is this list for instance:

What I Did the Day Before Easter, Wisconsin, 2015

fed Dog, gave Dog medicine, picked up Dog’s poop with a plastic-sheathed hand
drank black coffee, ate Honey Nut
kissed Husband, smelled his hair
lifted weights, worked lats
pretended movement on a machine that imitates movement
sweated a lot
missed my mother, felt sad
snuggled with Husband and Dog
took Husband and Dog to the park, threw sticks, shot video
wiped counter and stove tops, cleaned inside the microwave, scoured the sink
scrubbed boiler plates, swept and mopped floors, watered plants
put off the blog, put off grading papers, put off so much
made snacks
watched the basketball game, drank beer, fell off the veggie wagon and ate a bratwurst
cheered, drank shots of cherry McGillicuddy’s, something called an Egg Nog shot, and
Jameson shots
missed my nephew
hugged my friend
slept in bed until Husband started snoring, slept on couch until sunup
dreamed Dog was eaten by a shark

Doesn’t have the same ring about it. My to-do list would be even more boring and six pages long. Just like every woman, I have an ongoing relationship with to-do lists. Blaeser’s poem and the concept were very inspirational to me this week. But that relationship has changed since my mom died.

It’s been six months since Mom’s memorial, and I’m doing well by getting through the days one at a time. I wasn’t ready for Mom to die. I selfishly looked forward to taking care of her in the end as I always planned to anyway. I set aside three weeks of leave thinking I would spend entire time by her side. Instead I stayed with her two days, spent a week planning/mourning/crying, then went right back to work. Not teaching, but certainly not taking time off. Here’s a sad list I think I need to make:

October 2014, Hospice

bought her a white scented candle
pinned her cards and letters to the cork board
watered her flowers
drink a glass of wine with her
adjusted her pillow
kissed her and said she was a good mother
didn’t know if she believed me
didn’t burn the candle
didn’t read Marge Piercy poems
didn’t fall asleep on the cot listening to Tina Turner
closed her eyes for her

This is so hard. I wish I had talked to people who lost their moms more. I just figured they didn’t want to talk about it because I myself was so not ready for it. But had I talked to my friend Lisa, or my husband's boss Roseanne, or my high school classmate Chelsea, or my cousin Crissy, or even my stepmom Cheryl, they would have told me, as Cheryl did after the fact: you’re never ready. You could be 99 and she could be 150. My advice: count on it hurting like hell. Don’t even try to imagine it, because you can’t.



needs dusting
needs put away
Since then I have stopped making to do lists. I do what’s necessary to get through the day – that day only. I still need Mom. Knowing she’s not there, I can’t see far ahead enough to make a full to-do list. Because a woman’s to-do list never comes to an end, but lives on in perpetuity, oftentimes cycling and repeating like the harvest. Paint toenails. Spring clean. Read. Write. Read. Write. Apply to this job. Apply to that job. Submit stories. Apply for consolidation. Buy lotion. Buy toothpaste. Blah blah blah.

 
all not read yet
Instead I am doing exactly what I need to do from one day to the next. That’s because every day feels like I’m bicycling along a tightrope with a pole across my lap and no net underneath me. Mom was my net.

Don’t worry. I’m not putting things like, take a shower, brush my teeth, get dressed, and eat on a to-do list. Those are givens, and the day they aren’t is the day I go to the doc. I am already putting myself on a vitamin D regimen to prevent that from happening. An excuse to drink orange juice anyway (but not favoring vegetarians much). But I am limiting my tasks to avoid immediate consequences only. Or breaking my New Year’s resolution which is to do this blog every Thursday (with a possible extension to Sunday – happy Easter everyone!).


What follows is both what was on my to-do list in my mind (it’s ever present) and what I actually did:

Easter Sunday 2015

drink black coffee
cling to bed
separate eggs, beat whites into peaks, grind oatmeal with yolks and cottage cheese
remember Grandma, feel sad
brown ham steaks
eat everything drenched in maple syrup
feed Husband and Dog, smile
snuggle with Dog, listen to comedy on TV
blog about my grief
miss Mom, cry a little
go to bed with Husband, who’s feeding me later
dream about meatloaf and instant mashed potatoes



Go Badgers!

No comments:

Post a Comment