Monday, January 4, 2016

The Mysterious Will Part Four: More From Mae


The series addressed “Dear Kiddy” continues the “you never write” theme that dominates the letters that Will kept until his death. These are dated 1914, which would be about four or five years before I think Will’s son would have been born. “Kiddy” is a nickname obviously. It seems that during our grandparents’ time, people just took on other names in a rather permanent fashion. My grandpa, who we called “Pete” for years, was actually named Russell. For years I thought his middle name must have been Peter, but no, it was Louis. No idea why he was called Pete. Grandma never left anything in her scrapbooks about it. Apparently it was no big deal to just change your name into something else that everyone henceforth calls you without question. For the record, if this again becomes convention, I want my new name to be Scout. That or Pearl.

But I digress. The individual writing to Kiddy seems to be his mother, who once again lays on the guilt about his neglect. What’s going on in these early letters is very sad, and the implication is that Will is not well. Is he not well? Is he actually “so sort of mournful” as the writer implies? Or is crazy momma just projecting? It may not be that odd for a mother to have a giant ink hissy fit about not receiving letters. This was how people communicated from afar before phones. You are, therefore, a bit of a bad offspring if you don’t fire one of these off every week. Was Will too depressed to write? Or angry about something.




 …sometimes it takes a big bump, you know, to make people see things in a different light. I was in Los A(ngeles?) yesterday and passed a young man, looked so much like you I could scarcely resist speaking to him (here “him” is written over “you”)and only wish it might have been you. only thing he wore a gray suit, and I know you don’t often wear gray, do you.

I can’t write dialogue like this, and I am pretty decent at dialogue. Question: didn’t children take penmanship as a subject is these bygone days? Momma must have been sick that day. Another page:

…and general bad luck and I felt it keenly, as you sort of intimated that your (indecipherable to me) might have been the cause of it, (three dashes – what for? For pause?) but you know if boys don’t sow their wild oats when young, they sometimes do when they grow older, now don’t have any hard feelings for my saying this, for you know I feel just as kindly to you as a mother could and pity you from the bottom of my heart (the rest is smudged and I can’t read it.)


What the hell? Again, hint that this could be his mother, but may not be his real mother, in which case – how did this come about? And what is the indecipherable cause of Will’s misery? A father’s infidelity? A spurned girlfriend of Will’s? Herpes? Either Will has had some sexual indiscretion that is for the best so he gets it out of the way…or someone didn’t get there oats out of the way and has now screwed something up as a grown man.

My dear kiddie,
Your welcome letter reached us, as a sort of surprise, because I really had quite given up on you as one of us. That as I told you once, and then they are soon forgotten, not so with me, my dear, for I don’t think a day has ever passed that my thoughts haven’t wandered back to you and the delightful 6 months you spent with us, wish they were to be all over again. Your letter sounded so sort of mournful, hope you didn’t feel as you wrote, for I cannot see why you are not happy. I suppose John wrote you of some of our summer pleasures. We sure have had a delightful and a busy summer, taking such a delightful trip to San Diego and up in the mountains with the (Sweets?) in this big touring car. I wished many times you were with us. I know you would have raved about them.


What does she mean by “as one of us?” There is ongoing suggestion that Will is somehow adopted into this family, and yet isn’t maintaining the relationship to the adopted family’s satisfaction. No mention of a father either…I can’t imagine she would refer to a father by his first name, so “John” must exist in another capacity. (He does have a father, who is mentioned in previous letters by this ‘mother adopted’ who I think wrote these as well.)

Here’s the thing. Will has a mother already. Before these letters were written, he spent some time in Cali with the adopted mother, and then left, presumably to live or stay with his actual parents. Adopted mom was not pleased at the circumstances.


Dearest Will,
Imagine my surprise on hearing of your departure for the east, without even a line or a good by, to the one who would do anything in this world for you. I certainly thot we would see you again, ere you left us for your home. I am glad for your mothers and your sisters sake, for I know their great joy in having you with them, while it is my ill luck to loose you.
I had looked forward with so much pleasure to our Christmas holidays, knowing I should have you with us again, and now the pleasure is all gone for me, I shall do my best to make the others happy – but you know the rest –
I simply cannot give you up. I came home from Los last night heart sick, feeling worse than when I went down. Knowing I should not see you, for a while at least, but expecting you to be with us at holiday time.
It seemed to me the last week you were with us, the hardest week I ever put in, in all my life, (of heartache) the many things that had come up both from your side and mine – was almost more than I could bear and I nearly broke down under the strain, the one thought of losing you soul and body – was too much for me. I know you will laugh at this and think what a _________ I am.
I simply cannot content myself at home, I get out all I can, as the house seems so empty. No smiling sweet countenance to cheer me while I feel blue – but I hope your homecoming will be a happy one, and I’m sure it will be, for you certainly deserve it. Tell your mother for me, there are others who think she has a dear sweet boy – and I think her a grand mother to bring a boy to manhood – as grand a young man as you are.

The characterization of Will and the relationship here is so bizarre to me. He’s staying with this woman, calling her a mother figure, then decides to go home to his real parents, at which time he and the mother figure “Mae” have an argument during which “things come out.” The abandoned Mae in the meantime practically has a breakdown over it. But here’s the thing: I gather from her letters that this “you don’t love me enough” whining comes from Will as much as it does her. I almost get the sense that this woman has to stress her lamentation at his loss, or he will somehow deem her unworthy and cast her off. I feel that he is manipulating this woman into this drama somehow. He’s always mournful and unhappy. He accuses her of not being sufficiently overjoyed at seeing him (see an earlier post.)

I should note too that Will did not have, or did not keep, as many correspondence from his real mother (and none at all from father.) Later, he gets more letters to Michigan from Cali, these from a woman named Eleanor who is clearly a type of love interest. Sadly, I don’t know if this is his wife for sure, but her letters provide a clue into how love worked in our grandparents’ time. Weird city. Next post, her letter plus some clippings sent by unnamed busybody and shared with Eleanor.

No comments:

Post a Comment